Next up on my triple birthday cardmaking list last Saturday was Allison. She was turning 6. Like Sophie's Fluttering Butterflies Pop-Up Card, I wanted her Too Cool card to be a butterfly-themed pop-up, too, but this time with a simple and sweet look.
The card front was created with layers of butterflies cut from the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz Die and the Beautiful Wings Embosslit. I used Designer Series Papers from the Sending Love and Pawsitively Prints packs. Colors are Certainly Celery, Pretty In Pink and Very Vanilla. Greeting is from the Well-Scripted set, colored with Regal Rose and Old Olive markers and punched with the Scallop Oval Punch. The Scallop Edge Border Punch finishes off the look.
Now, you have to use your imagination here, since I don't have video...but, when you open the card, the butterflies spin around on the string. Too Cool!Spinning Butterflies Card How-Tos
I don't have the exact measurements, because I didn't have a chance to make an extra (I was creating three extra-special, Too Cool cards in one day, people, there was no time!), but I can give you the basics.
- I needed enough room for all three butterflies to spin properly, so I folded a 5-1/2 x 8-1/2" piece in half and ran it through the Big Shot with the Circle Scallop Bigz Die. I just guestimated how big of a chunk to take out of it; it's not quite at the half-way point.
- Then, I scored about 1/2" away from the die cut and folded it in the opposite direction.
- I cut two of each size of butterflies (center is from the Beautiful Butterflies Die, others from Beautiful Wings Embosslit). Adhere them back to back to a 6" piece of dental floss (the regular, non-glide kind, although mint or bubble gum flavor could add something to the card). Make sure you space them so they will be able to freely flutter within the opening.
- On the back of the opening, place a 1" piece of Sticky Strip on center fold at the top and bottom of the cutout. Lay your stringed butterflies along the center fold, then add another piece of Sticky Strip over the top to hold the floss securely in place. I added a piece of decorative paper over the top of that to cover the tape.
- Before adhering to your card, be sure to stamp or decorate the background of your cutout. I used more of the Pawsitively Prints DSP.
- To determine how far in to adhere the pop-up to the inside the of card, I closed the pop-up and laid it on the card inside for a better guestimate. Definitely do this! Otherwise, your pop-up may end up hanging outside of your card! I used more Sticky Strip to attach it.
- Before sticking your card in the envelope, be sure to wind up your butterflies, so they will automatically spin when the card is opened.
So, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm 1 out of 2 now on my success list for this triple party! 50% ain't half bad...well, I guess it is, technically speaking...